What it's about
The Cosmetology curriculum is designed to provide competency-based knowledge, scientific/artistic principles, and hands-on fundamentals associated with the cosmetology industry. The curriculum provides a simulated salon environment, which enables students to develop manipulative skills.
- Manager Stylist
- Hair Stylist
Courses you'll take
Course work includes instruction in all phases of professional imaging, hair design, chemical processes, skin care, nail care, multi-cultural practices, business/computer principles, product knowledge, and other selected topics.
What you'll gain
Graduates should qualify to sit for the State Board of Cosmetic Arts examination. Upon successfully passing the State Board exam, graduates will be issued a license. Employment is available in beauty salons and as skin/nail specialists, platform artists, and related businesses.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in skill sets in cosmetology.
- Utilize math concepts when identifying and applying color.
- Demonstrate proficiency in hair color techniques.
- Apply critical thinking skills and basic cosmetology principles to recognize, analyze and solve problems.
- Demonstrate dependability and responsibility while managing self effectively.
In addition to DCCC requirements and course objectives, there are professional standards that encompass communication, motor skills, sensory and cognitive ability, and professional conduct that are essential for the competent study and practice of Cosmetic Arts. These technical standards are published in the Cosmetic Arts Program Information Packet, Student Handbook.
The following are admissions criteria for applicants to the Cosmetology program, including Esthetics Technology and Manicuring/Nail Technology.
Applicants for admission to the Cosmetology program must have:
- Completed the College’s assessment process and achieved acceptable scores.
In accordance with the North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Arts, please submit an original social security card, tax ID card, or student visa information; in addition, please submit a government issued ID and proof of date of birth to your advisor prior to the first day of class. You will not be able to start Cosmetology class until you complete this requirement.
Projected Costs for Cosmetology
- Student costs include tuition, fees, and textbooks, plus an implement kit and required uniform.
- These costs may be covered for students who qualify for financial assistance, and college financial aid staff will assist the student in applying for financial aid. Financial aid does not pay for summer semester. *Financial aid for cosmetology is unique based on the credit hour classification. The semester a student begins and the specific courses taken will determine when students are eligible for financial aid refunds.
- It is important to apply for admission to the College and financial aid as early as possible.
- All projected costs are estimates, may vary from term to term, and are subject to change without prior notice
Examples of Costs
|In-State Tuition:||$1,100 - $1,500|
|1st semester textbooks:||$420|
|Advanced textbooks/color kits:||$310 (not needed during first term)|
|Required uniform:||$50 - $60|
|Required nametag:||1st free ($10 to replace)|
|Reminder: All costs are estimates and subject to change without prior notice|
Application/Licensure/Individuals Who Have Been Convicted of Felony
Any applicant convicted of a felony or charged with a felony that is still pending may apply for Board approval upon enrollment in a cosmetic art school. All documentation submitted shall have no effect on an individual’s ability to attend a cosmetic art school, take an examination administered by the Board, or apply for a license; is not binding on the Board with respect to any future application from the individual reviewed; and is not a final agency decision.
B.E. Mendenhall Jr. Building
Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.
Wednesday & Thursday: 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.- Noon
Call us: 336.249.8186
Fax Number: 336.224.0240